Sometimes, we all need to take a day to wallow. I'm not saying that we should be depressed and self-pitying all the time. That's not good at all. But I know that I, personally, have a tendency to ignore any pain or heartbreak I feel. I say "I'm fine. Don't worry about it. Whatever." (like a true Gryffindor). We can't ignore our pain; letting it fester is just as unhealthy as constantly living in it.
1) A supply of comfort food/junk food. Get food from your favorite restaurant, and get a variety. So grab some burgers, tacos, a pizza, etc. And don't forget the cookies, pie, chocolate, etc. (For me, this would mean lots of sushi rolls, a burger, and probably some really really good pizza. Like BJs. And a pie with boysenberries involved.)
2) Ice Cream. Like Rachel & Monica explained on Friends - Save the good stuff for the real tragedies. If you're upset, but not to a great extent, might as well stick to the low-fat nonsense. If your world is falling apart, get a couple pints of Ben and Jerry's.
3) Comfort clothes. Pull out your most favoritest/comfortable PJs or sweats or whatever.
4) Make the "wallowing zone" as comfortable as possible. Favorite pillows/stuffed animals, lots of blankets and pillows all around, box of kleenex, a tv, junk food within reach, etc.
5) Playlist. Cause I have to listen to something while driving around to get all that food.
- Fidelity, by Regina Spektor (What if I never met you? What if you never even called me? What if we never fell in love? What if I kept on singing love songs just to break my own fall?)
- All I Wanted, by Paramore (I think I'll pace my apartment a few times, and fall asleep on the couch...all I wanted was you. All I wanted was you.)
- Jar of Hearts, by Christina Perri (I learned to live half alive and now you want me one more time. And who do you think you are? Running around leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts. And tearing love apart.)
- Build the Moon, by Charlotte Sometimes (I send my heart to you, but you never care, you never do...tell me you love me soon...I know we weren't meant to be, but I want you here with me.)
- Almost Lover, by A Fine Frenzy (Goodbye my almost lover, goodbye my hopeless dream. I'm trying not to think about you, can't you just let me be?...Should have known you'd bring me heartache, almost lovers always do.)
6) Suggested Movie List (now, these are just some ideas.) (also, the movies get increasingly more depressing the further down the list you travel, although not in perfect order)
- He's Just Not that Into You
- Pretty in Pink or Sixteen Candles or Say Anything...(Don't judge me, I'm very connected to my John Hughes 80's films).
- The Notebook
- Dear John,
- P.S., I Love You
- Titanic
- Steel Magnolias
- Beaches
- La Vita e Bella (aka: Life is Beautiful. This is also at the end of the list because it is, by far, the most well-made, sad, wonderful film about living.)
Also, there are more movies that belong on here, but a lot of them I haven't yet seen...or just didn't remember at the moment.
After doing a very through job of wallowing, it's time to get yourself going again. Go running, go for a bike ride. Do some shopping. Mix it up and try doing something different to your appearance than you would normally try (even if that just means a different color of nail polish or wearing a hat). Work on a hobby or craft you love or have always wanted to try. Get out and about. etc.
Also, I really have no idea why I wrote all this down. I think the only person it will ever benefit is me. So hopefully, future-self will remember what past-self thought would be helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment