Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reality...

So I was just watching the Newlyweds Nick & Jessica show. I don't know if you remember back in the day when Jessica Simpson and Nick Lanchey got married and MTV turned it into a reality show, but it's really interesting to watch. Besides the memorable quotes like "Is this chicken, or fish? It says it's 'Chicken of the sea'..." I find it really interesting to observe they way that they lived their life.

Not to be mean or disrespect them, but I can see why their marriage didn't last. Sure, Jessica is very blonde, but that's not it. Sure she doesn't know how to clean or do laundry or go shopping, but that's not it.

I've noticed that she seemed to be, at least at the time, to be extremely insecure. When Nick was auditioning dancers for his song, which had racy costumes and dancing, I can understand Jessica being upset. But she takes it to a point where she's asking Nick if she's "as hot as (the dancers)". And when they play a game of 'would you rather' and the question is "If you knew the person you would fall in love with would die six months after you met them, would you rather never meet them, or meet them, fall in love, and have them die?" Jessica takes Nick's answer personally.


Anyway. I was just wondering what my life would look like to the world. If everything that I did was broadcast on television, would I seem annoying? Too talkative? Smart? Lazy? Sweet? Unfocused? Friendly? Boring? Happy? Irrational?
Not that I want to be a reality show.
But I think we should live our lives AS IF someone was always watching it. Not to live as a "fake"; you still need to say what you want and do what you want. But we should probably work on being kind and understanding. Being patient and listening. I doubt that I'm really communicating the point I want to make very well.

But, in short, no matter what the natural tendencies of your personality are, you can work to be more understanding of those around you and to overcome the negatives that come with your personality.
-------------------------------------

* I have taken the Myers-Briggs personality test (I'm an ESFP) and I recommend it. It helps to learn more about yourself and to read up on the traits of other personalities, so you can understand why certain things really annoy your sister or best friend or whoever.

2 comments:

Robynne said...

I think I get what you meant... Reminds me of Donald Miller's latest book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. I don't know if you're familiar with his work, but his books are reflections on his life and God - very journal-esque. This latest book was written in response to the experience he had when working with screenplay writers to turn his most popular book, Blue Like Jazz, into a film. The screenwriters changed much of his story because it didn't make a good movie, and this made him think a lot about what it takes to make your life a good story that people would be interested in. Living your life as if it were a movie... much like living it like it were a reality show. Make your life something worthwhile so it could make a good reality show, be someone worth watching for good reasons (not because you're just a major ditz or so strange people can't stop watching), ect.

The book does a much better job of explaining the concept than I just did, but I definitely think it's along similar lines as what you were thinking.

Vanessa said...

oh! that is really cool. I've actually been meaning to read Blue Like Jazz...I should get on that, and A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. Thanks!