Monday, February 2, 2009

Who, Me?

We, as humans, crave attention. We long for those moments when someone stops to say 'hello' to us and ask us how we're doing. When someone smiles at us from across the room, they notice a change in how we did our hair, what we're wearing...Now, I don't know if this applies more to girls than to guys, but I still think that guys appreciate it when someone (girls especially) notice that they may have fixed thier hair or gotten dressed up for a date. Anyway, the point is that we seem to live for those little moments in which someone appreciates something about us. And those times when we feel invisible and insignificant seem to drown us in self-pity at times. I have been susceptable to feeling sorry for myself when it seems like I don't matter or make a difference to the people around me. It's amazing how much better one feels when they get a friendly smile or a hug.

Often when I'm sitting in class, wondering why it is that the point I brought up is treated as the dumb one, I look over and someone will smile at me, and I just find myself thinking, "Wait, was that smile meant for me? or the person sitting next to me? or no one at all, and they were just zoning out?"

If a simple smile, 'hello', or hug have that much of an impact on the people around us, why is it that whenever we feel abandoned, we tend to crawl into a shell? We ought to reach out. Smile and say a simple 'good morning' to someone we pass by, give one of our friends a hug...do the little things that we, ourselves, appreciate. I don't really know where all of this rambling has gotten me...but I just felt like I needed to get that thought out there.

No comments: