Sunday, February 21, 2010

What.Am.I.Doing.?

What am I doing with my life? Where am I headed?
I'm working toward becoming an Elementary Teacher. It's a fairly steady job, it starts paying fairly soon, I love working with kids and I think it's a job I would really enjoy.

But the other thing...I really am into Television and Movies. I am passionate about them. One of the few things that I get really worked up and mad about is when a remade film kills the original. When people go on and on and on about the new version and they never saw the original. When the entire world is caught up in a new tv show that's just terrible.

And I love doing production. And I want to help people. I don't want people settling for the terrible terrible media that's running rampant today. I want people to have some taste. Of course, everyone has their guilty pleasure movie, I do too, but that's not what I mean. I don't mean every movie you like has to be extremely dramatic and dark. A lighthearted film can be just as good as a dramatic one. But I'm talking about the overall quality of film making and music production.

And I have no idea how I would accomplish any of that. But I want to. I want to bring films back to health. Not all current media is bad, some of it is very good, but I feel like the overall IQ of the populace is dropping, thanks to the media's influence. And, more than anything, I want to fix that. But I don't know how.

But there isn't a film minor. And if I were accepted into the film program, I would have to take 45 more units. Starting out as a Junior next fall, I don't know how that's even humanly possible with all of the observation hours I need for teaching. And I don't have unlimited funds to stay in school forever.

2 comments:

Sarah Parro said...

It's a tough decision, and it's hard to focus on just one thing when you have so many interests. One thing I've learned - if you're passionate about something, I mean it really gets you going and excited, don't ignore it.

I'm not saying you have to change your major. One thing you could look into is getting involved in film projects on campus with film students, just for experience's sake. I know an art major who helps out with any film she can for that reason, but she's technically not a film student. I'm sure you know lots of film majors, and I can recommend some people as well.

Vanessa said...

Ooo, that's really good advice, Sarah! And that could come in handy, should I try to get involved in films later :)