Today I was at the elementary school I'm observing. There's this chart in the room, with all of the student's names on it, and colored pieces of paper inside. Depending on their behavior, the Teacher will tell them to "pull your card". Blue is excellent, Green is good, Yellow is a warning, Orange is held back at recess, and Red means talk to parents.
Anyway, the kids were out at recess. One little boy was just hanging out with me and the 2 kids who were on Orange. The teacher noticed, and here's how the following conversation went:
Teacher: Why aren't you out on the playground? You don't need to stay back here, you aren't in trouble. But you can't play with them right now because they're on time-out.
Boy: I don't know about the playground.
Teacher: You mean you don't know what to do to play on the playground?
*Boy nods*
Boy: I don't know what to do.
Teacher: Do you play video games at home?
Boy: Yea.
(Teacher in an aside to me: ahh that's why he doesn't know what to do at recess. He doesn't know how to use his imagination)
Boy: After school I play with my brother. Sometimes there's blood in the game. We play Halo.
And in case you forgot or didn't know, I'm observing a Kindergarten.
That's the saddest thing I think I've heard in my whole life.
No comments:
Post a Comment