Monday, March 29, 2010

Who Am I?

Doesn't everyone ask this question at some point or another, in some form or another?

What do I stand for?
What do I enjoy?
What is my style?
What is my dream?
What do I love?
What do I hate?

etc.

The point is that everyone wants to be able to clearly define themselves.
Now, they do not want someone else to define them, because that is judgmental, and limiting. But, humans seem to have this huge desire to be able to relate and identify with things. Characters in books or movies are great examples of 'identifiers'.

I don't know if this is true of boys, but girls all picked their favorite Disney character as kids(often a princess). I've realized something interesting by looking at my friends, and then looking back at who their favorite characters were. Everyone seems to have picked their favorite character because it was someone very much like themselves.
Someone I know who loves to paint and to create art, adored Pocahontas. A friend who loves the military, but would never dream of joining herself (unless it protected someone else) loved Mulan. When I was about 1 1/2 years old, I would run down the beach, fling myself in the ocean, practically drown, and pop up laughing. And I collect any little piece of 'junk' that interests me. Guess who my favorite was?

People want to be known. People want to be liked. People want to know who they are, but the problem with that is that people are constantly growing and changing. They aren't very stagnant.

I don't think that people want to be known or defined by what their favorite movie is, their favorite color, where they've traveled, who they've dated, their hair color, or what they wear.

A lot of those details make up what they enjoy, but it doesn't define WHO they are.

Who someone is goes a lot deeper than that. It's manifested in their personality and attitude. Kindness, cruelty, gentleness, harshness, self-control, lack of inhibitions, love, hatred. The way that someone acts or reacts in situations, I think, defines them more clearly than their likes & dislikes.

No comments: